Sunday, January 13, 2013

Review We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

I’ve blogged before about Oates’ writing …how I can’t believe I’ve only just discovered her .. and here I am again, on the same note, how did I miss We Were The Mulvaneys?

A family story of disruption, disenchantment, disorder and, thank goodness, finally, decency. Oates’ prose carries the reader along, her plotting meanders, gently teases, and when you think you’ve escaped and might just know how the Mulvaneys’ lives progress, she surprises you. I found this book unputdownable, like a crime thriller with heart and soul, it had characters I enjoyed getting to know but now and then I kept doubting whether I did know them.

A book that made me laugh, despair, and, in several places, weep. Truly wonderful. I shall miss it now I’ve reached the end, its definitely  on my read again list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment