Saturday, November 10, 2018

Jericho Writers - a review and a thank you

Earlier today I was wondering what to post   - perhaps something on the way forward for my stitching projects but then, well, I've rather neglected any updates about writing ... what to say that could be of interest. Well, as I was pondering, the weekly newsletter from the always interesting Harry at https://jerichowriters.com, arrives.

Wow, as well as the usual good stuff, there is a great offer   - the Jericho Writers people are more wonderful than I thought!  They will give me a year of membership if I write a review of their website on my blog (or  a website). Very opportune.

Joining Jericho Writers is a key part of my writing plan for 2018/9. It will give me access to more, much more,  of their sound advice, events and, most important, editing and how to get published knowledge and skills. I spent time watching some of Harry's free on line seminars this summer. His 'teaching' style is easy to follow, very clear with lots of examples to contextualise the points he's making about enhancing and editing your writing. I was tempted to join then. But I was about to hand my draft novel over to two beta readers for their comments - another part of my plan. I hesitated.

Perhaps I should wait for my friend's comments first? Decision made, I used more of the useful free advice from Jericho Writers. I focused on finding potential agents, how to identify a few that might be interested in my novel, how many should I send my work to at any one time, how best to approach them, how to weave my way through the myriad of advice my internet search on the subject had come up with.

There is a lot that is free on https://jerichowriters.com. Jericho Writers is generous to those who hesitate before joining. I did (lots and lots) of my own research, made decisions about who send to and what to send guided by Jericho Writers website advice and their speedy answers to a couple of questions. Thank goodness for Harry (and I presume, his staff) because, although he clearly leads with his expertise and experience, surely one person can't run it all!

The Jericho Writers helped me plan a process to follow once I thought my novel was ready to be considered by an agent, and to keep writing number two novel as the rejections arrive in my inbox. My plan ends with the need to accept that, as advised, if ten or so agents reject it, I absolutely need more editorial help for the next draft. That's where membership of Jericho Writers comes in ... it was to be my 2019 beginning of the year spend on my writing practice.  And now it may be a gift ... which is wonderful.

This post is long enough but before I close I want to add that I've also been receiving newsletters  and information from organisations like Jericho Writers. There are lots of similarities amongst them but Jericho Writers and Harry get my vote not the least for their style and focus. This is one of their strap lines (a copy from their website)

WE’RE HERE FOR WRITERS

and hopefully, soon, I'll being able to read and participate in more of what they offer. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment