Saturday, February 11, 2012

Book review: The Loft by Marlen Hanshofer

Translated from German this book helped me to understand what is meant by interiority with its single viewpoint and deep drill into the mind of the narrator –a woman, a wife, a mother, a friend, someone trying to find her self as she nears the last years of her life. Its one week in her life with a back story inserted in a way that didn't quite satisfy this reader … but that apart, the writing is engaging, disturbing, and original. I’m about the order her other book The Wall –apparently a feminist classic… more on that much later as I’m now going to start Doris Lessing's Alfred & Emily for book group next week. Might find I’m still part way through when we meet!
Writing this with the brilliance of the sun and snow pouring through the windows. But its cheek pinchingly cold out there so I need to decide how many layers I can wear to keep warm walking across Waterloo Bridge later on. I’ll be on my way to see The Ladykillers with three very dear girlfriends. Comment on that next time I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment