Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review: The House of Silk

Anthony Horowitz's new Sherlock Holmes novel, The House of Silk, was one of my book group choices for 2013, and the first of those that I managed to read so far. My to be read basket is full and somehow the other books, one of which was As I Walked Out One Summers Day, just did not appeal when the time came for me to start a new book.
To my surprise I stayed with The House of Silk, even though Holmes et al. has never much appealed to me. The change of author may have made the difference! This is a pacey book, well plotted, and with some powerful insights into the social history of the times. As expected the language is somewhat stilted, but I enjoyed the range of characters, and found myself wanting to know how the various crimes were solved by the wonderful Sherlock Holmes. Springing himself out of prison was quite something!
We meet to discuss htis next week so I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks of it.

Meanwhile, there's no chance of me even starting the biography my other book group are reading this month so perhaps I'll give their meeting tonight a miss. The plumbers have taken over my house this week, and the refurbished bathroom is nearly done. Next week the decorator starts -presently the walls are splashed with trial sized patches of colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment