Friday, November 1, 2013

Review The Wasp Factory

A book group book, and our try at something different!Gothic horror as stated on the front cover is an accurate description. Iain Bank’s prose zips along but in a rather formulaic way, as if everything was aimed at the reader learning the reasons for the protagonist's way of life. The only small surprise comes very late and maybe has a hint of being of its time, so  reading it now one loses the edginess perhaps once there. After all, I was reading the 25th anniversary edition.

A slow reveal which I found rather tedious at times –not because of that gothic horror but more because there was such a lot of description  -good description I grant you. but even that can become boring! 

I won’t spoil the end for those who haven’t read the book: it is worth reading for its imaginative qualities, and the logical horror that unfolds 

My next book is a John le Carre  … I’m so looking forward to starting this!

No comments:

Post a Comment