Friday, July 26, 2013

Review: Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng

This book was a find in my local charity shop, and not one I expected to find so very good to read. Its a powerful and very engaging account of repression and human endurance. Cheing achieves a sensitive balance between reporting what happened and her feelings when she's writing about the personal was impressive. 
I struggled with the long passages about Chinese history but learnt  a lot about a political system that I know very little about.

I'm writing this in a French heatwave and its far too hot to have a laptop on my lap, time for another visit to the pool. I've learnt how to get on the lilo and wondering if I can read while it floats me around  and around. More on this later ......


No comments:

Post a Comment