Saturday, July 20, 2013

Reading catch-up

Hot weather is really useful for reading so my to-be-read pile is a lot smaller after this wonderful sunshine.  Carol Ann Duffy's The World's Wife provoked lots of chat and laughter when my library book group met last week in the cool of my garden ... a good choice for those who were new to poetry and so nice to read again for those of us who'd read it before. We all agreed that the idea was so very good, that the poems were all accessible and, as said, many made us laugh out loud.

My other book group also met in my garden this month, just four of us on Thursday discussing Solschenizyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch. We all agreed a good choice, spent some time comparing different translations, and debating how we would fare in that cold, grim place.

I've also read A. N. Homes's This book will save your life ... very funny, authentic parody on modern American life. A really enjoyable book, thoughtful, sparky, and with a good dollop of wisdom.

Finally, I have the stitches for another pair of socks on my needles ... now I know the basics I'm trying a spiral pattern with some soft bamboo yarn.  Its nice to knit in between making petals (yes, petals) for some book covers, and catching up with the applique Merry Christmas blocks ... good job I made no promises which Christmas this quilt might be ready for.  Some projects just seem to go on and on .......




No comments:

Post a Comment