Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Rosie by Rose Tremain -a review


Another lovely looking book with good size font, discrete chapters that follow RT’s life from early childhood to her first writing success and lots of family photos with young Rosie. 


This is an open, thoughtful autobiography aimed at giving an insight into the writer’s desire to write, and how that writing has been shaped, influenced and directly taken from early life incidents of note.

I'd already read many of her books, and then this.  A god order of reading.  As the chapters move from the life of RT as a very young child, to school and take in the lives of key people in her life, the writer and her books emerge. A privileged and fascinating picture emerges and there are some great touches. I particularly liked the evolution of her name and the way RT's adult friendships were given their roots.

The style is easy read, in RT’s usual gentle and powerful prose. And it’s a well chosen length. Nothing is laboured. Everything serves a purpose and is contained within the author’s aim to recall a vanished life in order to provide some answers to the question : how did you come to be a writer? 

Posting reviews of the books I've read in the past few weeks emphasises to me that I do read a lot of books. More so when its too hot to do anything else very much. A quiet few moments with one more chapter ... what could be nicer after an hour of clearing a bigger run for our hens!!!! Or, after more free motion quilting. I find this stitching method very intense  -- it needs to be followed by quiet time with my book. 

Do let me know something about your reading habits. I'm always looking for recommendations to add to my to-be-read list.

Find out more about Rose Tremian and her books here https://www.rosetremain.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment