Sunday, January 15, 2012

1st 2012 read-again: A Farewell to Arms

Finished A Farewell to Arms this afternoon –my first second read of this year ready and I'm not sure I would have finished it if it hadn’t been a book group book. I remember enjoying it so much more many years ago but found the very male perspective and language hard to relax into and the geography and action of war was hard to follow. That said, Hemmingway’s writing has instant characters, i could so clearly see Rinaldi and the priest and his dialogue sweeps along at a pace that almost meant I could forgive that it often seemed everyone was reading from a script.Did people really speak like that … I guess so,

It being Sunday I’ve also written another 100 word story. No success with last weeks but its still a good feeling writing prose again. Also drafted a poem for the next assignment which had very demanding instructions. We were to start with an abstract noun and make sounds the element of surprise. Well, I’ve tried and somehow having started thinking of joy the poem is about fear … no, I don’t get how that happened. but I have got a poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment