Sunday, June 17, 2012

Back from being busy!

Back again to the blog after a couple of busy weeks and the realisation that my blog writing has a pattern. Not much to do so there’s not much to write about, so not much blogging; very busy days so no time for the blog … to state the blindingly obvious.
I earmarked today as a slow day so I’m beginning a few entries on the books I’ve been reading and what been happening in general.
Last weekend I went back to the Hay Festival after a three year gap; nothing much changes. The geography of the tents is the same, the town’s shops tempt the second hand book buyers, and, of course, there was  mud and real weather. I’ve often been disappointed in the lack of poetry at Hay but not this year –Ben Okri, Gillian Clarke, Phillip Gross and the most wonderful  reading of The Wastelands by Fiona Shaw. My basket of books to be read now overflows ready for some much needed hot sunny days to spend reading.
Staying in Bev and Andy’s nearby cottage was a great pleasure
P1040656the cows in the back field have a view into their new breakfast room & kitchen and provided us with lots of entertainment.
P1040669
Their garden is full of the results of lots of tlc –the strawberries are nearly ready for neighbours to pick and enjoy.
P1040662
My next stop on Wednesday was Dundee –a work trip to that wonderful city and another chance to see Discovery and a very well preserved Lightship, both permanently moored by the Tay Bridge.
Finally, I spent yesterday at Bookham Village Day where Mole Valley Quilters filled the stage with a stunning display of quilts.   The rain stayed away, our raffle prize quilt was won by a local family
and I bought more books this time at 50p each. IMG_0192
IMG_0190As I write this I’m looking at a plastic basket of mainly green leaves with a few flowers that I paid £5 for in exchange for the Flower Group Ladies buying a £1 raffle ticket from me. I know, it just doesn’t add up but it was the end of very long day.
I’ve gone slower today than I intended .. maybe I’ll get to the book reviews tomorrow after the Charity Quilt Sale I plan to go to. Off now to make some bread for the communal lunch tomorrow and to look at a plan to a quilt that i hope to buy some fabric for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment